Leading causes of residential fires in San Jose and how to prevent them
When you own a home, there are many threats to think about. Fire is chief among them, as it can arise anywhere and at any time. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated an astounding $8.9 billion in property damage across the United States due to residential fires in 2021. Also during this year, there were in excess of 350,000 documented fires. Thankfully, there are things you can do to keep them from happening|. Learn more about the causes and how to prevent house fires in San Jose .
What starts residential fires in San Jose ?
Fires can begin anywhere and without notice, whether ignited by a smoldering cigarette in a waste container or a neglected stovetop. Here are the top causes of residential fires.
- Cooking: Incidents in the kitchen are the most common types of residential fires in San Jose and everywhere else. Unattended stovetops are the main origin, so always keep an eye on that smoking skillet when cooking. It’s also worth nothing that soaking a grease fire with water will only make things worse.
- Heating: Portable heaters are well established as a cause of residential fires. Running them for extended amounts of time might cause internal pieces to degrade and catch fire. Putting heaters next to combustible materials like bedding and drapes or using frayed cords can also lead to disaster. Other heating elements, such as HVAC systems and fireplaces, could cause fires and need to be checked periodically.
- Electrical: Outdated wiring, defective outlets, and overburdened extension cords are several of the ways electrical issues lead to fires. If you discern burning smells, sparking, or flickering lights, get it checked out right away.
- Candles: When there's a flame, there's the potential for fire. Residential fires due to candles are still commonplace and typically result from careless behavior. Burning candles next to flammable materials like curtains or leaving them within the reach of an inquisitive pet will often result in disaster.
- Smoking: Even with the overall reduction in smoking nationwide, it’s still an undeniable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated that 7,800 residential fires were caused by smoking in 2021. Dozing off while holding a cigarette or disposing of smoldering ashes too soon can give rise to devastating results.
The best way to prevent house fires in San Jose is to avoid negligent behavior. Always pay attention when cooking, don’t leave a candle unattended, and properly get rid of cigarettes. If you have to run a space heater, do so in short intervals and invest in one that has an automatic shut-off safety precaution in the event it tips over.
Get help quickly with a monitored fire alarm in San Jose
You ought to have smoke detectors on each floor and think about installing more near sleeping quarters. But you can take your safety a step further with a monitored fire alarm. These beneficial safety components will not only detect smoke but can also trigger due to extreme heat. Furthermore, because they incorporate into your modern smart home, they’ll notify you and your monitoring professionals whenever an emergency occurs. This is a worthwhile feature, particularly when you’re not there to hear the alarm and contact the fire department yourself.
Defend against various risks with a Vivint smart home in San Jose
Enhance the protection of your residence today with a Vivint smart home. You may customize our systems with monitored fire alarms, CO detectors, and flood sensors. You’ll appreciate the instant updates to your smartphone and the reassurance that you get with professional monitoring. Place a call to (408) 790-0318 to get started.